Saturday, March 18, 2006

A Heroine for Modern America


I was chatting with Joe Corso the other day and reminded him that back in 1984 I had told him and fellow students about this new band from Ireland that I swore was going to change the world, U2. At the time they all laughed at the black leather wearing rock and roll guy in the class (although this class was in Nashville) but here it is 22 years later and Bono is up for the Nobel Peace prize, so it would seem that I was right after all. I mention this only to show that I did not know the guys in U2 personally then and still don't, so you can beleive me when I promise I had nothing to do with this:

"LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Concerned about politicizing her favorite charity, singer-actress Jessica Simpson on Wednesday turned down a invitation to meet with U.S. President George W. Bush, a snub that left Republicans dismayed.

The apparent final word that Simpson would be a no-show at a major Republican fund-raiser with Bush and congressional leaders on Thursday night came after a day of conflicting reports from her camp and organizers of the event.....

"It just feels wrong," one Simpson insider told Reuters on Wednesday, adding that the actress keeps her political views private. "She would love to meet the president and talk about Operation Smile ... but she can't do it at a fund-raiser for the Republican Party."

NRCC spokesman Carl Forti said he was surprised at Simpson's position.

"It's never been a problem for Bono," he said, referring to the U2 rock star who has met regularly with political leaders of all stripes to promote various causes, including Third World debt relief. "I find it hard to believe she would pass up an opportunity to lobby the president on behalf of Operation Smile."

Well golly fuck Carl, maybe our sweet Jessica has more moral integrity than Bono,,, ya think? Maybe she has seen what happens to performers that go the way of the darkside (just look at Ted Nugent! No amount of support from Frankie will ever make him ok again in my book.)

My hats off to you Jessica!

And before some people start gossiping, let me say right now that I have not seen Jessica at all in the last 3 weeks.

(this post is in no way a cheap excuse to post pictures of Jessica, just thought my readers should know that)

4 Comments:

Blogger Zen Bubba said...

hmmmmm this actually had photos with it when it was originally posted....

Sunday, March 19, 2006 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Zen Bubba said...

No, really, it had several photos,, which is what makes the last couple of lines funny, or would of had the photos made it thru,,,, Blogger has been running low on memory and apparently ate them....

Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:29:00 PM  
Blogger Baxter said...

I agree with the Simpson camp although I don't think it's a matter of morals. A political fundraiser is just not the time for such business, that's more a job for congressional lobbyists.
I also agree with Bill (shock!)in regards to the Nuge. Sure, he's an exceptional guitar player but he's still relevant how?
....Sorry Frank. ha ha. Love to ya brotha!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Zen Bubba said...

there, it took the photo that time... much better.

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home